I migrated to America and understand our immigration process first hand. I know what it’s like to want to live in the greatest country on earth and to go through the citizenship process. I also know that America is the land of opportunity, welcomes those in need and helps people fleeing violence or oppression including refugees and asylum seekers. But we have laws and they need to be followed, for the safety of all Americans.
There is a crisis at our southern border and Congress is failing the American people by not upholding its constitutional duty to solve the problem. In fact, politicians like AOC have been failing the American people by using this serious issue as a political tool. We cannot continue to ignore our immigration problems, nor can we continue to have open borders. We need to work together to solve the problem and the current representative has no intention of doing so. She voted against both attempts to mitigate the humanitarian and immigration crisis.
Our southern border isn’t the only source of our immigration problems. For decades, people have taken advantage of our asylum loopholes. The time has come for meaningful immigration reform and we need real solutions that reflect our values while preserving our security and growing our economy.
As your congresswoman, I will work with President Trump and work with all members of Congress to take immediate action to introduce legislative solutions to fix our immigration laws.
Murray’s Immigration plan will include:
- Finishing the wall at the southern border
- Structural changes to help stop the flow of illegal border crossings and drugs entering our country
- Investments in technology and immigration officials to protect American communities
- Closing asylum loopholes to address the humanitarian crisis and streamlining the adjudication process
Every day our infrastructure becomes even more outdated. Just this summer in NYC we have had multiple blackouts, dozens of train delays due to outdated equipment, and potholes on our roads that seem to grow larger every day. For far too long we have seen a mayor, governor, and Congress that could not care less about our crumbling infrastructure, while people are afraid they will be fired for being late to work because of the traffic and subway delays we deal with as a result of this negligence. But infrastructure investments do not stop here, we need to improve our cybersecurity and technology to prevent foreign actors from taking control of our automated systems. As your representative, I will work tirelessly to pass sweeping infrastructure legislation to fix our crumbling transportation methods and secure our technology grids from outside attacks.
As your congresswoman, I will remain dedicated to educational freedom and ensure our children have the opportunity to fulfill their God-given potential. My concentration on educational freedom is to maintain the goal of improving outcomes. For decades, our children have been failed by our education system.No parent should be forced to send their child to a failing school or one that is not a good fit. The American people recognize that students have the best chance to succeed when they receive an education tailored to their individual learning styles, talents, and interests.
As President Trump has mentioned, the “Nation’s Report Card” shows that nearly two-thirds of our children are not proficient readers. With that said, there is no doubt that countless families across our nation want to provide their children with better educational options, but they are being denied that opportunity. Surveys show millions of families would choose a charter school if they had access to one today. Like In Pennsylvania, New York’s students have been denied the opportunity to choose a charter school education as Governor Cuomo has refused to raise the cap to allow for more charter schools to be built.
Murray Education plan will include:
- Supporting President Trump’s Education Freedom Scholarships and Opportunity Act and give children the freedom to attend a school of their choice. This would create a $5 billion annual tax credit for donations to state-based, locally-controlled scholarships.
- These scholarships will help families pay for expenses such as tuition, dual enrollment, out-of-district transportation, tutoring, and apprenticeships.
- This would be a scholarship Account that is essentially a bank account specifically to each student that parents can use to pay for their child’s education costs—books, tutoring, private school tuition, and educational therapy, for example.
- I would support allowing open eligibility for any K-12 students to apply for the Scholarship Account.
- Upon opting out of the public school system, the family receives a percentage (hypothetical percentage: 90 percent) of the funding that the state would have spent on the student at their district school.
- Parents can prioritize the activities and programs that are the right fit for their children, rather than hoping that one public school size fits all.
- With the introduction of these accounts will also be accompanied by ensuring accountability on both the state and parent. Reports should be submitted so that providers are accountable for the quality and services while parents are required to show the costs of the supplies and services from the funds in their accounts.
Our economy is booming, businesses are coming back to America, unemployment rates are at an all-time low, and our stock market has hit record highs thanks to deregulation and pro-growth free market policies. There are more jobs than people to fill them. We need to do everything we can to make sure we continue on this path. Capitalism has lifted more people out of poverty than any economic system in history, and as your representative, I will never vote or support any measure that will raise your taxes or increase government regulation. You can spend your money better than the government can, or will.
Ever since the inception of Obamacare, we have seen members of our government advocate for more control of our healthcare and say it will be better quality and cheaper. We all know this is not true. All across the world, we see government-run healthcare cost citizens more in taxes every year, while they wait in month-long lines at hospitals and doctors’ offices for care. I will never support any form of government healthcare takeover. The less government in your life, the better off you will be.
The Second Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights for a reason. New York City has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation, and we still feel the scourge of gun violence in communities like mine. We need to focus on the real issue tied to gun violence: mental health. For far too long, mental health has had a stigma, and often times people are too afraid to seek help when they need it. That is why I want to provide better resources for communities in order to inform people where they can get help and assist people in recognizing the signs that someone may be suffering from mental illness. I have already worked with programs to do this in my community and will continue to do so as your representative.
Law and Order
We are a nation of laws. I support our law enforcement 100%. We consistently see demonizing language from our members of Congress directed at our law enforcement community and have even seen instances where our officers are attacked and ridiculed for doing their job. Law enforcement officers are some of the bravest among us and dedicate their lives to protecting and serving our communities. We need to focus on building bridges between our law enforcement communities and those they represent. The rhetoric we have seen on the national level is doing everything but that.